Sometimes when a problem occurs it can be difficult to locate the cause.
It can also be hard for us to assist since things like system setup, hardware, operating system, specific Helium options etc can be different on a customers machine than in our testing environments.
To be able to isolate a specific problem you can follow the short instructions below:
- Ensure that you are using the most recent Helium version
- Restart the application and possibly your machine. Always restart the application after having received an error. Side-effects caused by a prior issue is very common and a fresh start minimizes the risk of reporting one incident as several problems.
- Minimize number of steps. Please try to remove as many redundant steps as possible. Perhaps the problem will arise by only doing a few of the things you did the first time the error occurred?
- Premium users: Test if you can reproduce the same issue with a new library:
Create a new library, add a few random files to the library and test if the issue can be reproduced.
- Check our forums if it is a known issue.
- If a crash-report dialog is displayed whilst working with the application, provide a short description of what you did when the issue was raised. If possible please include information about which view that was active when the problem occurred.
If you take contact with our support, please ensure that you provide as much information as possible about the problem since it will help our support to work quicker with your case.
If the issue is reproducible after a restart you can also attach extended logs to us which can help us to analyse the issue quicker.
To generate extended logs, follow these steps:
- From Tools > Options > General > Advanced, checkmark Use extended logging. Click OK and then close Helium.
- Delete all files in Heliums logs folder, %appdata%\imploded Software\Helium 13\logs.
- Start Helium, reproduce the issue
- Compress all log files in the logs folder (step 2 above) to a ZIP file and attach with your incident report.