Start a new topic

Music Explorer - Releasetype

Helium 13 - Beta 2 - Build 13.0.14789.0
Database: MariaDB

Audio Files an DB are on the local machine
Local Account that execute Helium 13 has administrator rights

1) Open Music Explorer.

2) Select Releasetype "Maxi/Single"
3) Take a look at the small circle icon at the left buttom. It should be a "M".

4) Press "Strg" + "E" to open the tag editor.

5) Take a look at the "Basic" register on the field "Releasetype". You can see "Not defined".

6) Check all other register but no entry "Maxi / Single" detected.

7) Do the same with three other entrys and it's all the same.

I make screenshots of this and attach them as files.

It seems like the release types are not stored on tags (the Tag editors always loads data from the tags whilst the views only show database data).

Have you imported your database form an older version or created it with Helium 12/13?

Can you please try to:

1) Create a new database

2) Add the albums with incorrect release types

Will the albums show an undefined release type?

I created the Database new at Helium 13 and imported the files. I will trotz the steps you mentioned and come back asap.

Hello Mikael,

i do the steps you told me and all added album are shown with an undefined release type. I make two screenshots, one from the "old" database and one from the new database. They show the same album with the same files on my local computer.

Then it seems like the files are missing release-type on their tags.

Can you share one or two files from the album with me so that I can analyse this further?

If you perfer to not share it in public, please open a support ticket at

And here is file number two

And last but not least number three 

it seems that number one was not uploaded, so i try it again

Thanks for the files Stephan.

I have analysed the files tags via:

-Properties in Helium 13

-Properties in Helium 11

-A Hex-editor

And the simply does not contain and release type tag-frames (rtyp) and therefore they are not shown.

I cannot answer why they were shown initially, it is unfortunatley nothing I can reproduce.

I consider the code in Helium 13 to be working as expected according to the above tests, therefore I will close this bug.

If you can identify a case where the release types are added and then removed without purpose, please open a new ticket.

Hello Mikael,

i recorded same vinyl tracks at the weekend and tag them with mp3tag before i imported them to Helium.
After the import, i take a look of them at Helium and see the same issue with the releasetype as mentioned before.

So I look again at the tags with mp3tag and also take a look at the database at the sql server management studio. In mp3tag you can see the used RELEASETYPE tag, but this tag isn't given to the database and so also not in Helium. Now I ask myself if the tag RELEASETYPE is not an offical tag.

I make screenshot of this and attach them to this reply.

Hello Stephan,

It seems like MP3Tag is using a different format for the releasetype tag compared to how it is used (since very long) in Helium.

This is most likely the reason why this specific tag cannot be read.

Can you share a file with this release type?

Possibly we can add read-support for it for a future Helium release.

Hello Mikael,

i added two of this files at the dropbox share.

Thanks. We will analyse them further to see if we can add read support for that tag format, since they are M4A files the tag format is a bit different.

If you need it, I can upload the same files also as mp3 files. Please let me know.

That would be great, thanks in advance.

Login or Signup to post a comment