Start a new topic
Solved

Restore backup on other PC shows no picture

Back again, after the second hard crash of Helium im may and leaving me without usable data, I prefered waiting some time to see if newer versions will work better.

Started new database with MariaDB. After importing three artists information line on main page showed 103 artists. So far no changes I thought. Ok so importing some 700 files and one day using basics seemed to work better than before. But one of my main issues is will I be able to make a backup and restore it properly on other PC?

Backup containing everything (pics etc...) Restoring on a new instalation of MariaDB and Helium. First look: not a single picture is displayed - none of artists, albums or labels even as they are restored in their correct places. Seems Helium is storing amounts of pictures in its pics folder but only using album pictures in album view? Does already exist or could there be an update option for them?

thanks in advance

Hello,

We have analysed and tested this in detail and it seems to behave just as it should.

What we tested was the following steps:

1) Created a new MariaDb

2) Cleared all pictures in the album, artist and label folders defined in Options > Pictures

3) Added five different albums from different artists to it

4) Added some album, artist and label pictures and ensured that they were added to the paths in Options > Pictures

5) Created a backup, opened the ZIP and ensured that the pictures addeed in step 4 were included

6) Created a new database, restarted Helium. When this was done, the cache folder was cleared (as expected)

7) Deleted all pictures in the paths defined in Options > Pictures

8) Restored the backup created in step 5

9) Verified that the pictures from the backup were correctly restored into the paths defined in Options > Pictures

10) After a restart, images were cached again and all pictures previously defined were properly visible

Was these steps equivalent to the steps you tested?

Do you use some specific paths defined in Options > Pictures?

>>Helium is storing amounts of pictures in its pics folder but only using album pictures in album view? Does already exist or could there be an update option for them?

Helium will use the the image path stored in tblAlbums (AlbumPicturePath) which will be set when either pictures are added automatically during an add operation or updated when you download/change an image.

No I never deleted existing pictures that were defined in the path Options > Pictures. Also because I was not sure if this would affect an elder existing database in the way it would miss its pictures then.
In the backup all pictures were included and so restored on the second PC in the definded path for them.
Original pictures were stored as ...
x/_labels/labelname.jpg
x/Al-Az/Anna Nalick/Anna Nalick.jpg
x/Al-Az/Anna Nalick/2004 Wreck of the day/folder.jpg
I copy label- and artistpictures manually to standard Helium picture path: roaming/etc...
Albumpictures were copied as {{albumartist}} - {{album}} into the same path when imported or when I update a 300px with an 1500px version.

Please note that I deleted the pictures in step 7 just to ensure that pictures should be properly restored in step 9.

>>In the backup all pictures were included and so restored on the second PC in the definded path for them.

So, the restoring worked then?

>>Albumpictures were copied as {{albumartist}} - {{album}} into the same path when imported or when I update a 300px with an 1500px version.

If your database points to local paths which the second computer cannot access (files in the album folder) then they will not be shown.

Helium does not keep pictures in the database, only references.

Do you have the possibility to check which picture path an album which is not displaying a picture in your database points to and if that path exists on the machine you performed the restore on?

(As well as that the path is accessible from the machine)

You can check the field in tblAlbums.AlbumPicturePath.

Yes all pictures were restored correctly to standard Helium pics path (....\AppData\Roaming\Imploded Software\Helium 12\pics), as in example Anna Nalick exists as well Anna Nalick.jpg as Anna Nalick - Wreck of the day.jpg.
1st PC has Win7 as system, 2nd PC Win10 - will this make a difference? Or that PCs use different names as well as users?

Since they seems to be stored under your user account (AppData\Roaming...) maybe your username differes on your machines?

File systems shall not differ between machines.

Something you also can test is to:

1) Close Helium 

2) Delete the cache folder

3) Start Helium

Yes all PC run with different user names, but Helium writes the path entry in options after restoring correctly: PC1user is now PC2user
I do another test now.
Deinstalled MariaDB
Installing MariaDB
edit my.ini
Restore backup in Helium
Restart PC
<<<there seems to be a problem with MariaDB, after PC restart SQL Server is not running. Strange! never had this problem before.
I will open a support ticket and when we solve this problem post the solution here.

>>Yes all PC run with different user names, but Helium writes the path entry in options after restoring correctly: PC1user is now PC2user

If the path in your database is stored based on your old user, PCUser1, the path may look like:

C:\Users\PC1user\AppData\Roaming\Imploded Software\Helium 12\pics\Album Pictures\test.jpg

If you restore it under another user account, PC2user, the path will now be valid, since the new picture path will be:

C:\Users\PC2User\AppData\Roaming\Imploded Software\Helium 12\pics\Album Pictures

If you plan to share pictures amongst different users and computers I would recommend that you change the picture folder to an UNC based path which all users can access, for example \\myshare\albumpics

Reinstalling MariaDb will not help in this case, you will need to remap the paths in the database.

1 person likes this
MariaDB was a homemade problem, after install I copied a stored my.ini to MariaDB, but meanwhile it's v10.2 and my.ini was written for v10.1

Closed, report is tracked further via our support since this does not seem to be a general issue

Login or Signup to post a comment