Start a new topic
Answered

Genre Style

When composing a smart play list, there is a field for 'Genre style'. That's great, but for the life in me, I can't figure out how to populate this field when editing tags.

The field does not appear to be available anywhere else in the interface.

Can you please advise on how to better use this field and how to enter relevant data? Thank you.

Best Answer

Genre style is a database-only field which is not stored on tags.

It's main purpose it to allow an optional grouping hierarchy of genres under a style.

You can use it searches/smart playlists to more easily find tracks from more than one genres, which are related.

Examples of genre styles can be rock, containing hard-rock, metal, kraut-rock and electronic, containing techno, trance, breakbeat and so on.

Answer

Genre style is a database-only field which is not stored on tags.

It's main purpose it to allow an optional grouping hierarchy of genres under a style.

You can use it searches/smart playlists to more easily find tracks from more than one genres, which are related.

Examples of genre styles can be rock, containing hard-rock, metal, kraut-rock and electronic, containing techno, trance, breakbeat and so on.

I get that. How do I populate that field? How do I make the entries that will help me find what I'm looking for? Is there anything in the UI that give me access to that field?

You can manage genre styles and genres from Tools > Manage genres.

Sorry for being persistent on this subject, but even after organizing genre styles, how does one assign a track with the genre of 'Blues' and a genre style of 'Chicago Blues'?  I am really puzzled with this....

Genre styles will be assigned automatically by the genre the track has.

Example:

1. Create Genre style "Blues" (this is the topmost item)

2. Assign genre "Chicago blues" to genre style "Blues"

When you now search for genre style = Blues, all tracks in the genre "Chicago blues" and other genres assigned to the style "Blues" will come up in your search result.

The only problem with that logic is that the genre should be  "Blues" and the genre style is "Chicago Blues".

Genre should be the general category i.e. "Jazz" while style would be "Modern Jazz". The way you describe is the other way around.

I would love to hear how other users implement genre styles.

It is designed like this to mimic the handling in older Helium versions and there is currently no way to invert the logic.

How about then we add it to the Helium 13 wish list?  «Proper Support for Genre Styles».

Thanks Mikael.

Please add it as a feature request to see if it will get upvoted by other users.

AT the moment we have no plans to change this behavior since it works like designed.

Login or Signup to post a comment