Start a new topic
Answered

Hardly ever use this program, although there is lots to like about it

I bought Helium more or less on a whim. That was last August. I am having a hard time adjusting myself to Helium's way of working. I don't want every song spread around my system to be listed in one central location: that's why I have various folders that categorize the songs the way I want.

Every time that I have ventured into Helium's world to try a reconciliation I have left with headaches and disappointment. Irreconcilable differences? Perhaps.

Today I gathered up my courage and entered the portal once more. Lo and behold I found a very useful feature, one that's missing from just about every other music manager: analysis. I had a folder with about 1200 songs that I gave to Helium to analyze. I was not disappointed with the result -- that came after. Once I had the results of the analysis, there was no obvious, intuitive next step. What shall I do with the results? Well, in my efforts to find some way of utilizing the data, I managed to click outside of the results window and 'poof!' the data vanished. This happened each of the three times I ran the analysis. Color me stupid but I just was not able to hold on to that data and do something useful with it.

Helium and I are still separated.

I don't drink so I'm drowning my sorrows with a diet Pepsi.

Thanks for reading.

Best Answer
I have been using this product for at least 10 years at this point.  It recently went through a major upgrade which gives you the modern windows interface and whatnot.  What I can tell you that there is nothing out there that beats the product on features and anyway that you can manage music in any product, Helium can do and more.  It's a matter of learning how to do it.  It's a learning curve for many of us given the new UI but there is no equal as far as the product is concerned.

There may be a way to call the analyze function in scripts and automate the output into a file or report.  I will look at that myself today and I am sure others may have already done this.

Answer
I have been using this product for at least 10 years at this point.  It recently went through a major upgrade which gives you the modern windows interface and whatnot.  What I can tell you that there is nothing out there that beats the product on features and anyway that you can manage music in any product, Helium can do and more.  It's a matter of learning how to do it.  It's a learning curve for many of us given the new UI but there is no equal as far as the product is concerned.

There may be a way to call the analyze function in scripts and automate the output into a file or report.  I will look at that myself today and I am sure others may have already done this.

1 person likes this
Thanks for your message, Joe. I agree with all that you said, especially that bit about the learning curve. As it happened, I went back and had a closer look at things and ran the analysis again, and this time I didn't lose the data. Is it a miracle? Who can tell? I think a reconciliation is definitely on the horizon. I will just need to be a little more diligent. Sadly, that's exactly what several teachers told my parents all those years ago.

Oh, and there's a lesson in that for all of us.

Login or Signup to post a comment