Start a new topic
Deferred

Multiple albumartists

Now I ran into another release with multiple albumartists - it's really time to get this implemented... ;-)

I'm pretty sure I have some more...

3 people like this idea

This is indeed a very interesting feature which has been discussed previously.

The biggest challanges with implementing this feature is:

1) Create smart loging during adding and updating of albums so that they map to the exact artists

2) Being able to visualize an album for more than one artist (applies to views, searches etc)

3) Performance. Introducing a new mapping between an album and the artist table will slow things down. This is the most important point, to analyse exactly how much the performance will be affected.

As you can see from above, it is not a small fix, it will have impact on the most of Heliums functions, still worth to analyse though.

Well, I never said it's an easy to implement feature - especially because it needs some big database changes. But I know it's one of the most requested ones. ;-)

1) This should be the same as for tracks, shouldn't it?!
2) Views: There's not much to change here, only to replace the single artist by (possible) multiple artists
2) Search: Well, I'd say store the complete album artist in the table and search in those.
3) Performance might be an issue, but I don't think it hits too hard.

Performance will be affected since at least two additional joins will be needed, but as mentioned before, it will need to be benchmarked more in detail to see the actula impact.

I agree this request.

Login or Signup to post a comment