Start a new topic
Deferred

My Computer View improvements

 I would expect from the new view "My Computer", that I could see subfolders structure, allowing me to include to database and move a folder to the the final location (and why not both at the same time).


You should be able to see subfolders today already via the Path column.

How you you like to see it?


>>allowing me to include to database and move a folder to the the final location

Can you please describe this scenario a bit more?

Addinf to database is already possible by selecting the files and choose Add to library from the context menu.


I would like to see it much like a file explorer, viewing folders and having to click on them to see their content. All files types should be viewed, then I can delete, edit and also call other apps like an image editor.
Then these folders could be moved and included to the database in just 1 operation.

 

Folders might be implemented for future releases, althought it is a big job. Displaying of files types that are not audio files will most likely not be implemented since it is diffuicult to both parse and visualize in the columns related to audio information.

Then, I don't know if it worths to get this job done. This was something that HMM11 could do, so I was expecting more from this implementation. The combination of HMM12 and HMM11 to me is something hard to beat. HMM11 (even free version) with no database is blazing fast, I can see all the files in all folders in a tree structure, tag and rename (with templates), only adding to my HMM12 database when it's already into the right place and following all my standards. To me, this is the best workflow.

>>This was something that HMM11 could do, so I was expecting more from this implementation. 

I'm not sure exactly what you refer to, but Helium have always only been able to show audio files of different types, not other file types.


>>HMM11 (even free version) with no database is blazing fast, 

With that, do you mean that there is a performance issue with the solution in Hellium 12, or is it just a slower workflow with not having folders?



You are right, only audio files. I use a file explorer also for the task.

About speed, to me it seems to be both.

I work with folders, editing their content and finally moving them to the end location. To me totally makes sense to see the folders in "My Computer" view, and be able to add/move to database.

As I told before, using HMM11 together is the best solution for me, since it's an independent application that I can open in another monitor. All these reasons turns it to be a better solution to my workflow.

>>I work with folders, editing their content and finally moving them to the end location. To me totally makes sense to see the folders in "My Computer" view, 

So the most important task is to browse though a hierarchy of folders, in the same way as in the Explorer to avoid the need of click a button as todays implementation?


>>and be able to add/move to database.

Do you mean via a right-click menu from a specific folder?


Possibly something that could speed up things even more is an option to add renamed and moved files to the database?


>>using HMM11 together is the best solution for me, since it's an independent application that I can open in another monitor. All these reasons turns it to be a better solution to my workflow.

I'm not sure what you mean with "an independent application that I can open in another monitor" - Helium 11 is locked to a single instance in the same way as Helium 12 is, can you please describe what's not "independent" with Helium 12?


Sorry for asking a lot, but your feedback is valuable for us so that we can see what to prioritize.


First, don't worry to ask. I understand that you have to get it very clear in order to develop in the right path. Also, we both communicate in English that is not our first language.

>> So the most important task is to browse though a hierarchy of folders, in the same way as in the Explorer to avoid the need of click a button as todays implementation?


I don't like to see all files from folders and subfolders together. I have to first select all files from a given album to work on them. It would be a lot easier to click in the folder. It gets more neat.


>> Do you mean via a right-click menu from a specific folder?


Right clicking and selecting something like "Add & Move" would be very nice. Although this a nice feature, when working with a lot of albums at once it won't be effective. Then I would prefer to get all files deleted, tagged and renamed first, manual moving each folder to the right place and then dragging and droping those folders in "add files to library" window. Doing so adding scattered folders is not a problem, being a faster workflow since I would add all folders at once.


>> Possibly something that could speed up things even more is an option to add renamed and moved files to the database?


I would prefer "Add & Move". Renaming files out of database tend to be fast.


>> I'm not sure what you mean with "an independent application that I can open in another monitor" - Helium 11 is locked to a single instance in the same way as Helium 12 is, can you please describe what's not "independent" with Helium 12?


HMM11 and HMM12 are two independent applications that can run at the same time. Using 2 monitors, one for HMM11 and another for HMM12 is the killer workflow that I refer to.

>>HMM11 and HMM12 are two independent applications that can run at the same time. Using 2 monitors, one for HMM11 and another for HMM12 is the killer workflow that I refer to.

So to summarize, you really do not need any extensions in Helium 12, you are dependant on BOTH Helium 11 and Helium 12, meaning that no additional functions in Helium 12 will fulfill your workflow?


>>Then I would prefer to get all files deleted, tagged and renamed first, manual moving each folder to the right place and then dragging and droping those folders in "add files to library" window. Doing so adding scattered folders is not a problem, being a faster workflow since I would add all folders at once.


Can you show with screenshots or something similar of how you do this with Helium 11 today?

>> So to summarize, you really do not need any extensions in Helium 12, you are dependant on BOTH Helium 11 and Helium 12, meaning that no additional functions in Helium 12 will fulfill your workflow?

 

Maybe that's the reason why I got a bit frustrated. This workflow works very well for me. Seeing all folders not included in database, tagging and renaming in HMM11 works nicely to me. It would be nice to bring this features to HMM12. For sure other people have other habits and needs and so take advantage from the improvements. But in my case, HMM11 fills the gaps that HMM12 can't do. At the moment, yes, when tagging a lot albums, I'm still dependant of HMM11. It's faster working that way. If I only have an album to add, then I will do all in HMM12.


>> Can you show with screenshots or something similar of how you do this with Helium 11 today?


At the moment I don't have new albums for a session where I could take screenshots to explain in detail, but I really don't think it is necessary.


Basically, when working with a lot of albums at once, I prefer to in HMM11:


1. Rename folder

2. Edit tags

3. Rename files


From a file explorer:


1. Delete unnecessary files

2. Work in pictures if necessary (rename, resize, convert)

3. Move ready folder to the final destination


Then, each moved folder is dragged and dropped in "add files to library" window in HMM12. There is no problem that the folders are scattered in my tree since each one is dragged and dropped to the window. When it is ready, I add all albums at once.


Hope it is more clear now. If not, ask ;)

>>Hope it is more clear now. If not, ask ;)


Well, what I'm still missing is a list describing which exact functions you miss from Helium 11, without adding any external dependencies (these can still be made with Helium 12), nor new features.

I still cannot see a clear picture which EXACT features you are using in Helium 11, that's missing in Helium 12. 


A simple list with or without screenshots is everything thats needed and will allow us to plan for future extending of this view.

1. See folders so I can easily work in a specific album only

2. Make HMM12 work with files out of library as fast as HMM11 (more tests needed, specially reading and tagging some dozens of albums at once)


New features

A. Implement "Move & Add"

B. If possible, see all folder content and filetypes




Thanks, that makes things a bit more clear :)


Regarding point #2, I would suggest that you contact us over support.imploded.com with some specific performance cases we need to test (related to specific files etc). At the moment we cannot see any specific performance issues during tag reading.

>>that you contact us over support.imploded.com

not understand that... you call this on every messages


why should contact over Support, the Forum is not Support?

so i should no longer write here?


greets

Login or Signup to post a comment