Start a new topic

Device/folder synchronization

In the post below we asked about which out of four features you were missing the most from Helium 11:

http://support.imploded.com/discussions/topics/9000023215

We have been in the works with three of these features for a while and will now start the work on the device/folder synchronization.

We want to catch as many of the use cases as possible for how you used this feature (or rather how you would like the new feature to work), which is why we post this topic.

Please let us know a little but about what features you feel are critical to the device/folder synchronization so we know that we are developing the feature in the right way.

Thanks!

The main case for me is loading music to my phone, to a USB stick for car and boat, and making CD's for kick-boxing workouts.

I would typically create a playlist, then synchronize the playlist with a connected folder (which could be on the local PC, on the network, or an attached USB filesystem).

My case is write-only, not really "synch".  I don't have much interest in synching tags bidirectionally or other fancy features... just want to get the songs in the playlist onto the external filesystem.

It would be immensely helpful if the synch would trans-code to .mp3 or .wav, since some of my players don't do .flac.  

A CD creator would be icing on the cake.

As an extreme stretch feature request (and one I have suggested before), it would be Really Cool to be able to synch a Helium database+filesystem with another.  For example, I have HMM running on a home server.  I would like to be able to synch the HMM database and files on my laptop to the main system, so I can carry a subset of the collection on laptop, and capture play count, edits, new songs added, etc., back to the main database.

Thanks for your input.

just want to get the songs in the playlist onto the external filesystem.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to use the File rename feature? You should be able to:

1. Browse to your playlist
  2. Select all tracks
  3. Run the Rename files tool
  4. Create a template that points to your folder
  5. Select the Rename and copy setting.
  6. Click the Rename and copy button.
This might solve your initial demand?

Thank you for that suggestion... It hadn't occurred to me to try that.  It might do the job!

Hi,
I miss the folder sync a lot because I allways have some audio books and music with me.
In the moment I only use the folder sync because syncing to a device didn't work the last years. I would say don't put energy in a device sync which doesn't work very well. sync to an folder is enough and the rest we can do in windows.

I will show in some Screenshots from Helium 11 what I need in Helium 12:

I only use "Album" if this would be fix, it would be OK for me without any further settings.

Picture sync I don't need because pictures are in the tags and will be shown in the defices. If a picture is in the folder too, the folder will not be removed If I removed an album from the sync tool.

only the left part of the dialog would be enough for me

for output folder it would be nice if I can delet a path to a folder which I don't use anymore.

Is there any plan for the sync feature?

We have tried to get some feedback on this feature as this post shows. We haven't received much information or interest, so we are still reviewing if, when and how this feature will do a comeback.

Read this for my thoughts about synchronization.

Login or Signup to post a comment