Start a new topic
Answered

Remote Machine does not find Album or Artist Pictures

I think there's a problem with the design of the storage of Artist and Album Photos in HMM 12, ot at least there is as I understand it now.

The photos seem to get stored in whatever photos the LOCAL application has set in the Options->Pictures.  This means that photos could be located at c:\media\pictures\Artist, for example, but what happens when the user is remotely connected?  In this case, the database in served by \\LUCY, and the files are in \\LUCY\Media\.....  But the database is stuck thinking of C:

I thought I could get around this by setting the default file locations to be the same on each client application.  Unfortunately, then somehow I have to go through thousands of pictures and convince HMM 12 that they are in \\LUCY\Media\... instead of c:\Media\..., and I can't see a way of doing that except individually.

Worse, this is a design problem... What if my version of Helium on my laptop edits two databases?  One local and one on \\LUCY?  Should I really have to reset the Picture file options when I switch databases?  NO!  The default picture save path should be saved in each database.  This is a feature request, I guess.

What I really need now is a way to reset the path to all my pictures from the local route to the network route (so every photo that the database now points to c:\Media points instead to \\LUCY\Media.

In the future, if the database moved to, say, \\JEEVES, then all the picture pointers need to be remapped so remote users can continue ot enjoy the pictures.

What does everyone else do?

Best Answer

Hello Andrew,

>>The photos seem to get stored in whatever photos the LOCAL application has set in the Options->Pictures. 

If you plan to share a Helium database between multiple users you should change these paths to a path that is accessible for all users, e.g. \\MYREMOTE\Pictures\Artists.

>>This is a feature request, I guess.

Yes, it is.

>>In the future, if the database moved to, say, \\JEEVES, then all the picture pointers need to be remapped so remote users can continue ot enjoy the pictures.

The most simple way to solve this is via a script or by doing it manually via a SQL Tool.

Only references to the pictures are stored in the database, so this can quite easily be updated.

If you need assistance with this, please contact us at: support.imploded.com/support/login

1 Comment

Answer

Hello Andrew,

>>The photos seem to get stored in whatever photos the LOCAL application has set in the Options->Pictures. 

If you plan to share a Helium database between multiple users you should change these paths to a path that is accessible for all users, e.g. \\MYREMOTE\Pictures\Artists.

>>This is a feature request, I guess.

Yes, it is.

>>In the future, if the database moved to, say, \\JEEVES, then all the picture pointers need to be remapped so remote users can continue ot enjoy the pictures.

The most simple way to solve this is via a script or by doing it manually via a SQL Tool.

Only references to the pictures are stored in the database, so this can quite easily be updated.

If you need assistance with this, please contact us at: support.imploded.com/support/login

Login or Signup to post a comment