Start a new topic
Implemented

What previous existing feature are you missing the most? (Survey)

1) Possibility to adjust tags on files without the need of adding them to the database

2) Folder synchronization for more simplified synchronization with external devices

3) Gapless playback

4) Crossfade

Please rank your answers in order 1-4, with most important first, e.g.:

For other features not included in this survey, please post them as separate tickets.

Thank in advance you for your participation!

3) Gapless playback
4) Crossfade

2) Folder synchronization for more simplified synchronization with external devices

1) Possibility to adjust tags on files without the need of adding them to the database

3) Gapless Playback
2) Folder Synchronization
4) Crossfade
1) Possibility to Adjust Tags

3 Gapless playback
4 Crossfade

2 Folder synchronization

1 Possibility to adjust tags

2 Folder synchronisation
1 Possibility to adjust tags
3 Gapless playback
4 Crossfade

Of course the thing I miss most from pre-12.x versions of Helium is a split center pane. In version 12 it would be the perfect spot to list album tracks when you click on an album in the artist node instead of having to go into the album itself. :-)

3) Gapless playback
4) Crossfade

For me, #1 would be the most important, but I solved this problem using HMM11 at the same time with HMM12, which is quite convenient, since I can use 2 separate softwares in 2 monitors, doing different tasks for each one. It was a very important feature for me (there is a thread about it). To me, makes no sense having to add to data base first. Using HMM11 I can edit tags blazing fast many many albums at once, since there is no database involved. So it's not a priority anymore.

1 person likes this

4) Crossfade

3) Gapless playback

I know its a smartass answer but of the four its the only feature I miss.

but if I had to pick just one, it would be editing tags on music without adding to the library.  I can't believe so few people find this important.  I won't switch to version 12 without this and am looking at other software just in case it doesn't get added (yes it's that important to me)

2 people like this

Thanks for your comments @MarcoLius. 

Just out of curiosity - can you please let us know a little more about your workflow with files not added to the database, compared to if you are adding them to the database and working from the Music Explorer (should be a similar approach, but with files always added to the database and data will be 100% in-sync between tags and database) ?

This will help us to see better what we need to improve for future releases so that we do not miss anything. 

Thanks in advance.

I always tags albums and listen to them at least once before moving them to my organized music folder structure which is where they get added to the music library. Not everything I tag and listened to go into Helium. I am anal about organization and I'm a folder/file kind of guy when it comes to this because I don't always use software to find things. Sometimes I want helium for giving me a specific playlist and sometimes I just want to go get an album and copy it to a device which I don't need helium for.  Adding a folder of music to helium and then finding all the files to tag (because some files don't even have tags at all) seems very weird to me even if it would be a workable workflow. Partially because Helium and other music software like media monkey have allowed me to do this for years.  This is why the music explorer "my computer" section is my most used feature.

@Marco: Thanks for your feedback. A similar way to achive which I use myself is to keep files/releases that should be reviewed and tagged in an untagged root folder. When I rip something new, I always put it in this folder and performs an Update library command to quickly add the new files with a minimum number of clicks. I can then tag the items easily from the Music Explorer > Library node, accessible under the untagged folder.

I generally do some basic tagging, listen to the files and if everything is OK I then perform a Rename and move operation on the files to move them to my NAS.

That might not be a replacement for your exact workflow but it should be much the same with the exception that an add to database command is used.

We might still implement some kind of mode as in Helium 11 which does not need adding of the files though, although we are not sure where and how it will be yet. It might not be an actual tree, instead it might be a view where you select a folder to work with. Suggestions are of course welcome.

@MarcoLius you are not alone, this is why despite all the awesome features present in version 12 i still cannot move on from version 11. @ Mikael is there any technical reason the tree cannot be implemented in v12 as it was in v11 ?