Start a new topic
Answered

Desapointed by this new version

Just to upgrade to Helium 12

Fist impressions are not good 

1) Seems everything is not imported from Helium 11. I had lot's of personnal work on custom fields, and it seems lost ... well, it's was very important for me !

2) I've spent lot's time during previous versionS to make custom configuration of each interface, everything seems to be lost (customize colums and their order).

3) I've spent lot's time during previous versionS to configurer several models for rename files, a dozen, everything seems to be lost

4) I just can't explore my folder by using the music explorer : it's too slow.
And since I open the main folder of my collection, everything is too slow, even when I clic on File, View, Tool ... i had to wait more than 30s to see the menu.

Well ... what's happen to me ?

Iv'got more than 137 000 tracks, is it the problem ?

Best Answer

Hello Marc,

We noticed that you took contact with us over our support channel for registered users which was good, since that's the correct place to handle this kind of specific support questions.

Generally we offer all users help with migrations if they cannot get the process to work , there is of course an official process available.

No work shall be lost during a migration, all data is presevered ranging from tags to custom fields and more.

The only thing that is not transfered over is collections and volumes, as these are no longer supported in Helium 12.

French language will come in our next release (hopefully during the next week), it is available for testing right now if you like to:

http://files.helium.fm/helium_12.1.14391.0.exe

For all users with migration problems: 

Please take contact with our support, http://support.imploded.com, for more efficient help.

These forums are mainly for user-to-user discussion and knowledge exchange and specific problems should always go through the support.

Hello Marc,

Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with Helium 12.

Please note that Helium 12 is an entirely new application, rewritten from scratch thus some functions are no longer available and we are constantly adding new features to it.

Please watch the forums to get a view of what we are working on as well as have the possibility to request new features you miss and upvote requested features.

Some comments follows below:

>>1) Seems everything is not imported from Helium 11. I had lot's of personnal work on custom fields, and it seems lost ... well, it's was very important for me !

Since the first official release of Helium 12 we have released some beta versions with several fixes related to this.

We can recommend you to try to perform the import again with the most recent beta. If some issues still remains after that, please contact us over the support so that we can assist you further.

>>2) I've spent lot's time during previous versionS to make custom configuration of each interface, everything seems to be lost (customize colums and their order).

>>3) I've spent lot's time during previous versionS to configurer several models for rename files, a dozen, everything seems to be lost

Since everything is rewritten from scratch in Helium 12, it means that some functions have been rewritten with new behavior to meet requirements requested by users (feedback from surveys and beta releases).

Therefore the old template formats are not compatible with the new tools, sorry for that.

>>4) I just can't explore my folder by using the music explorer : it's too slow.

This does not seem to be correct. Which database type are you using?

I use a MySql database myself with 141.000 tracks under Win10x64 and it woks well for me.

If you would like us to perform specific testing with your database, please contact us over the Customer center support for more assistance.

Hello Mikael, it's been a long time.

Well, the most important for now is to solve the 4th point, before trying anything else.

It seems that everything turn slowly since i go into library and expand a folder with more than 8 000 subfolders.
But i'm not sure of that, because now that i mangage to collapse it, it's still very slow.

So, before, on Helium 11, i use the SQL server you give us (Helium Audio Server).
I see it's no longer avable on download.
During importation, Helium 12 convert it into a SQL Server compact.

Do you think it's could be that ?

Hi Marc,

>>I see it's no longer avable on download.

No, Helium Audio Server has not been available since a couple of versions ago since it used an outdated SQL Server Express version.

Nowdays the default installation of SQL Server Express 2016 is pretty easy to setup so that might been an option unless you would like to create a database using your old SQL Server instance.

>>Do you think it's could be that ?

Absolutly yes. Sql Server Compact is not designed for that amount of data, not in Helium 12 nor in earlier Helium versions.

My suggestion is that you reimport your old Helium database into SQL Server Express or MySql to get the speed back.

I changed my database (36,000 tracks) to MySql and saw an immediate speed bump. The recent betas have shown a lot of progress as well.

Hi Marc,
I used Helium Audio Server with Helium 9.4 until the old SQL Server 2008 started collapsing like 2 months ago, too. 190000 song files were quite too much for the constellation, that's why I updated to 12.
Although support coverted my old DB to this Version, I decided to do a whole rework. After reading a bit about pros/contras choosed MariaDB for the new database.
So import a larger amount of files or actualizing is quite slow, but as I understand it, it's a MySQL problem. Importing less files has acceptable speed. But using Helium 12 is mostly really much faster than before. (WIN 7 64bit)
I still see some bugs in the actual Version, reporting them I see also that support is fixing them quite fast. My critics here to the developer are more like: a lot of them could have been tested and eliminated before the release.
I never had a look at 11.5 so (my luck) I don't have the chance to miss much. But please before adding every good/missing/new feature do a full over test of what's implemented to assure that it is 100% working.

So, I found time to try something about my problems.

1) First, I go back to HMM 11 to clean my database : purge and optimize it.

2) Then, I installed Microsoft SQL Server express 2016, standard installation.

3) Then, I go back into HMM 12, delete base, create a new one and import my base.
(There are some details not very clear that wasted my time, but I manage to do it)
I had to be patient because as I said before, everything was very slow.

It was very very very long, more than 24 hours ! But this process finshed with success.

4) And then HMM 12 is still unusable. I juste can't navigate in my librairy,
This morning, I upgraded to 12.1
Nothing has changed for me

So it's unacceptable That and all my work lost ...

Seriously,  you can't change everything without give us tools to migrate our personnal work.
I spend days and days to fill informations in personnal fields. That was a great function of this soft It was done for it !
There's so much people that use piracy software. I'm a faithfull customer since HMM 7.
I can't accept to do it again, it's not serious.

So now, I'm ready to help you to find what's happened and to test solution.

PS : Is there still a soft to make a translation ? I can do the french translation.

Answer

Hello Marc,

We noticed that you took contact with us over our support channel for registered users which was good, since that's the correct place to handle this kind of specific support questions.

Generally we offer all users help with migrations if they cannot get the process to work , there is of course an official process available.

No work shall be lost during a migration, all data is presevered ranging from tags to custom fields and more.

The only thing that is not transfered over is collections and volumes, as these are no longer supported in Helium 12.

French language will come in our next release (hopefully during the next week), it is available for testing right now if you like to:

http://files.helium.fm/helium_12.1.14391.0.exe

For all users with migration problems: 

Please take contact with our support, http://support.imploded.com, for more efficient help.

These forums are mainly for user-to-user discussion and knowledge exchange and specific problems should always go through the support.