Helium 12.0.3 beta now available (build 12.0.14327)

Thanks Martin, I will do some performance tests.

>> (program picture gets different for a time) to get back to releases.

What does this mean, does an incorrect picture being shown?

>>Playlist on right does not update at all.

Fixed here: (update to most recent official beta, should now work through the update checker)

http://support.imploded.com/discussions/topics/9000019734

@Martin:

We have made some profiling and indeed rendering of some artists with many albums/appearances will be slower than others.

This can easily be seen with your database, when selecting "Udo Lindenberg" compared to "Beginner".

If you do the following:

1) From releases view, select artist Beginner

2) Select statistics

3) Click back

The flow should be quick. If you do the same with "Udo Lindenberg" it will be significantly slower.

This does not depend on the database operations, instead it is fully related to the rendering of data.

The entire artist page can be scrolled which causes a penalty when many album entries exists because then so-called virtualization will not be used.

We will review if the page can be redesigned somehow to avoid scrolling of the entire page so everything will become quicker.

The actual data fetching is very quick with your database (~292ms for Udo Lindenberg)

Thanks for the queue dock! That improves usability drastically. A suggestion for the future to improve it might be to add a toolbar with buttons to quickly clear the queue and remove single tracks, arrow buttons to move tracks up/down/top/bottom, etc. I know most people use drag and drop anyway, but choice is good. Deeper queue options would be welcome, too--- I liked in older versions of Helium that a double-click on a track or album would clear the current queue and start playing what I double-clicked on. That way the queue doesn't get clogged with leftover tracks over time that need to be manually cleared.

The only issues I've seen so far with the last few betas is that the program feels a bit sluggish overall--- just a bit laggy when items are selected, menus clicked, etc. I have a pretty beefy system (overclocked i7, 16gb RAM, overclocked geForce 980ti, etc.) and I switched the database to MySQL (which helped a LOT) but Helium just doesn't feel snappy. 

Thanks for listening and as always thanks for such a great program.

>> (program picture gets different for a time) to get back to releases.

What does this mean, does an incorrect picture being shown?

No, but Helium looks frozen for 3 seconds or longer nothing happens, or Helium get bigger and jumps back to fit into screen again, or the ring for loading is shown.

I don't have it under the official release, I shows up more often with each new beta.

under beta 0.3 I have it all the time.

I understand that smaller artists are loading faster than artists with more releases.

But playing Beginner from album view (Playlist STILL shows another artist so it is not fully working under 14334), clicking to statistics and back to releases Helium is doing nothing for some seconds and shows for ring for loading to get into releases.

So it doesn't make fun to click around ........

>>But playing Beginner from album view (Playlist STILL shows another artist so it is not fully working under 14334), 

I just tried to reproduce this the follwoing way (with http://files.helium.fm/http//files.helium.fm/helium_12.0.14337.0.exe)

1) Empty Play queue docked to the right

2) From Releases view, hovered an album alnd clicked Play

This resulted in that all tracks from the album was properly queued to the Play queue, not showing other tracks or such.

Maybe I did it in another way than you did ? 

>>clicking to statistics and back to releases Helium is doing nothing for some seconds and shows for ring for loading to get into releases.

I profiled this with your database on my machine (Win10 x64, 16GB RAM, i7) and this took about ~185ms (Statistics > Releases view).

It went too quick so that the progress ring was not even shown, and I was running in debug mode (=slower).

I have my MySql database on an SSD disc, possibly you have it on an SSD ? 

OK, now Playlist has updated the files. As it seems it's running as it should.

Yes, it is on an SSD. Hm, I have placed all pictures folders on a normal harddisk, so I have it on my music disks. Will it speed up if I change it back?
But under official release with full database I haven't had these problems.

>>OK, now Playlist has updated the files. As it seems it's running as it should.

Great to hear.

>>Will it speed up if I change it back?

You can try that, it might help.

During my test, I did not had access to your specific pictures so possibly the test was a bit quicker.

In my personal collection (MySql 141.000 tracks), I store the database on my SSD disc and my pictures on my NAS (slow access) and have not seen any speed issues like the one you describe.

>>But under official release with full database I haven't had these problems.

A lot of things have changed since the official release (I assume you refer to 14289), but I did a quick test with that version and got the same times as 14337.

I will try to change picture folders to SSD.
But my full database (messy and unsorted) would be very slow with all the pictures but it wasn't ...

163.jpg
(412 KB)

Thanks for the feedback Walt.

At the moment we do not plan to add any toolbar, the most of the requested commands can be invoked from the context menu.

Moving items up/down can also be made using the keyboard (CTRL+Arrow up/down)

>>just a bit laggy when items are selected, menus clicked, etc.

Do you have any more specific details about this?

We are performing end-tests with a MySql database with ~141.000 entries and have not seens this behavior, unless heavy background pictures are used in combination with blur and similar things.

Pictures on SSD with new database.
Played a track, clicking to statistics, clicking to releases. Ring for loading shows up. still the same performance problems.

We have some ideas of possible optimizations that we will try within upcoming builds. Be sure to follow the announcements to get access to early test versions.
ok.

We have identified a case where the releases view tends to load slower depending on the number of times visited.

We will continue to analyse this issue.

Yeah, I use the context menus and shortcut keys most of the time--- I was thinking more in terms of 'discoverability' (I kinda hate that word, but it's appropriate) where if there's a toolbar item that you mouse over or a menu item you frequently use, the end user can get a tooltip of the hotkey and can then discover a more efficient way to process the command. Same way we all learned shortcut keys for tasks like cut/cop/paste over time. More useful for new users, obviously.

I've been playing around a bit more on the lagginess and it seems that on a fresh launch Helium is pretty snappy. Since I leave it running constantly I noticed that after several hours it starts to get a bit less responsive until I close it and restart it. I currently have ~36,000 tracks in my library and I use the settings in the attached screenshot (I keep Helium snapped to the side of the display, which is a 4k monitor on my primary computer). Blur is off, but I really like the artist wallpaper look so I keep that turned on :-). Disabling the artist background doesn't seem to make any appreciable speed difference, but I haven't let Helium idle overnight yet to check it in the morning to see how responsive the UI is then.

The only other peculiar/unexpected behavior I've encountered is that when I click an artist node on the left and double-click an album to view the tracks, when I click the back button I would expect it to put me where I was. However, the artist list resets itself back to the top of the list instead centered/focused on whatever artist I had selected. In my screenshot example, this is what I get when I click on 'back' after looking at a La Roux album track list.

Great work on development--- about the only thing left I would beg and plead for UI-wise is a split center pane view option. It would be convenient to click on an album and have the tracklist appear in a pane underneath instead of having to double-click an album and then back out of it again.

Login or Signup to post a comment