Start a new topic
Implemented

Renaming artists

Adding new files, it might happen, that I get misspelled artists which is already (correctly spelled) part of my database.

Now I can easily rename the artist and the tracks will be correctly linked, but in that case, the abandoned artist is still part of the database.

In my eyes is does make sense to remove this artist, doesn't it?!

Are you sure that the artist is not still used in any relations or such?

It might be a bit dangerous to just drop artists with totalitems = 0, since that will break the possibility to browse related artists with no matching tracks.

You've got a point there - but since I've chosen to rename the artist, all relations should be changed to link to the "new" artist name, shouldn't they?

And no, I don't want to simply drop all artists with totalitems = 0, I have lots of them. ;-)

The reason why I asked was because I thought it should work already.

Relations are not stored by name, they are stored with Id and therefore renamed automatically if you rename the artist.

So, if you create a new database, add one artist, rename that - will it remain (after a restart of Helium) or be gone?

I did some quick tests and yes, if no relations exist, the artist will be dropped.

> but since I've chosen to rename the artist, all relations should be changed to link to the "new" artist

> name, shouldn't they?

I still think the existing relations should be moved too. For example:

Marie Eleonor Serneholt is a member of A*Teens. Now I choose to rename A*Teens to A★Teens.

Marie Eleonor Serneholt should now be a member of A★Teens, but in fact is still a member of the abandoned A*Teens...

I'll add the renaming of relations as planned since the other works

Why do you create a new artist with a new ID anyway?
Renaming shouldn't change the artist ID, except the artist is renamed to an already existing artist...

>>Why do you create a new artist with a new ID anyway?

It's a bit complex to answer, but it sometimes cannot be renamed due to existing values and related things.

Not something to list here. ;)

Implemented in:

https://implodedsoftware.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/new-beta-version-of-helium-12-available/

The logic has been rewritten so if an artist is renamed into an artist that not exists in the database, the ID will be kept.

If the resulting artistId exists, the contents (including relations) will be merged into the new artist.

Login or Signup to post a comment