Start a new topic
Implemented

SSL Implementation?

Hello There,

im currently testing the Streamer. Awesome to see that ipv6 seems to work fine.

but im just wondering if there is any SSL implementation like in v11? for streamer or helium or both would be awesome

1 person likes this idea

Hi!

Did you enable SSL support in the previous version of Helium Streamer (version 2) yourself?

We haven't tested this ourselves in Helium Streamer 3 but it should be possible to do if you host the application in IIS. This isn't currently documented so we would need to get back when we have done more thorough testing regarding this.

Hi Fredrik,

i was using hmm11.5 with ultidev on win for ssl. i think i didnt use streamer2 as it was not working in my ip enviroment. I didn't found SSL for hmm12 too so im wondering if thats possible to use in general.

I think you may be mixing things up. Ultidev was the web server which hosted Helium Streamer 2.

Helium Music Manager 11.5 had its own self-hosted web service which probably could not have worked with SSL (we have never provided this support ourselves).

If you had SSL working you most likely installed it yourself in Ultidev (http://ultidev.com/products/UWS-Cassini-Pro/), which supports it.

Hi,

yeah thanks for clearing this up!

Yes i used Helium Streamer with Ultidev. I installed that ultidev web server pro and setup SSL cert for streamer, which was working really fine for me. As this setup is long ago, i didnt realize this setup was not tested from you. i will do some tests, maybe i get it running with streamer3 and ultidev or IIS 

Maybe just not to confuse others, lets head back to my initial question for SSL support in any application from you which is facing the internet. is there anything on the roadmap?

thank you so far :)

Chris

We will look into supporting SSL certificates in an upcoming release.

This is now marked as implemented and will be available in next release. You can enable SSL support by adding the UseSsl option in the config.json file, like below:

This assumes that you have installed your own SSL certificate in a proper way.

It was previously possible to host Streamer 3 in IIS or behind a reverse proxy such as Nginx to get SSL support. This new support only adds support for the self-hosting (default) scenario where Helium Streamer runs as its own service.

1 person likes this
> This assumes that you have installed your own SSL certificate in a proper way.
What's "a proper way" to install a certificate for use in Streamer?

Here is a guide on the steps involved for installing an SSL certificate in Windows:

https://coderead.wordpress.com/2014/08/07/enabling-ssl-for-self-hosted-nancy/

Although Helium Streamer does use the Nancy web server (as is being mentioned in the guide), there isn't anything in this guide that is specific to Nancy as it uses Windows own methods. The only things these steps do is to allow software on the computer to listen on a specific port using the HTTPS protocol.

Please note that you may have troubles with browsers accepting your certificate if you have signed it yourself.

Please also take into consideration that this feature is currently seen as experimental and we will collect information on how it is being used before deciding on whether to continue down this path.

Ok, great - I got it working...

But in the end this cannot be the way to go. You need to create a way to simply import a certificate in the Helium Streamer Launcher.

The linked procedure is a no-go for many (if not most) users. ;-)

Login or Signup to post a comment