Start a new topic
Implemented

Statistics->Playing history: Create a scrolling bar-chart

Instead of today's line-chart create a scrolling bar-chart.


Click here to get more information.


Implemented in:

http://files.helium.fm/helium_12.0.14134.0.exe


The chart can either be dragged to be scrolled or scrolled via the scrollbar.

The scroll-thumb can be expanded/shrinked which will control the zoom level.

Is it possible to get thinner bars?
IMHO the actually smallest version possible should be the thickest - showing ~14 days @1920 pixels.
It would be great to see at least the last three months, better six, best twelve. ;-)


The dates beneath could be omitted, since the tool-tips show the date for each bar.


The time (12:00:00 AM) shouldn't be shown in the tool-tips - or show the time-frame when music has been played on that date (18:03 - 19:22).

>>Is it possible to get thinner bars?

Yes, you can control the zoom by dragging in the right-end of the scrollbar-thumb (marked in red):



>>The dates beneath could be omitted, since the tool-tips show the date for each bar.

I cannot omitt them fully because then the scrollbar will become hidden.

Instead I changed so that they are shown more seldomly.


>>The time (12:00:00 AM) shouldn't be shown in the tool-tips - or show the time-frame when music has been played on that date (18:03 - 19:22).

Time is omitted in the next build.


All changed will be included in the next build later tonight.



Well, I know I can control the size, but it looks it little less good on my side...

Maximum size of the bars:


Minimum size of the bars:


Do you have very few plays in your database?

The zoom levels (min/max) are calculated based on number of plays

OK, that's an explanation... But a new user would see a terrible chart then, wouldn't he?

Although I've just realized, that 0-play-days are not in the chart... I know you only get dates with played tracks from the database, but can't you add the missing dates by a function in Neon?

 

>>OK, that's an explanation... But a new user would see a terrible chart then, wouldn't he?

Yes, but statistics will become a locked function and ment for users with larger databases and more than a few weeks of playing history so it's better to design for larger data sets.

Can you share your demo database so that I can experiment with it ? 


>>I know you only get dates with played tracks from the database, but can't you add the missing dates by a function in Neon?

Possibly, I need to test it further.

>>Although I've just realized, that 0-play-days are not in the chart... 

Are you aware that the chart will become significantly wider if this is made?
I wonder how the result will be...

As far as I can see, you use a fixed chart width and calculate the bar width accordingly - wouldn't it be possible to do it the other way around and use a fixed bar width and calculate the chart width?


>>Yes, but statistics will become a locked function and ment for users with larger databases and more

>>than a few weeks of playing history so it's better to design for larger data sets.

Yeah, but since it's multi-user capable, there can still be new users...


>>Can you share your demo database so that I can experiment with it ? 

It will take some time to upload...

 

>>Possibly, I need to test it further.

Would be great...


>>Are you aware that the chart will become significantly wider if this is made?

Yes.


>>I wonder how the result will be...

Much more detailed and even more important: correct. ;-)

>>As far as I can see, you use a fixed chart width and calculate the bar width accordingly - wouldn't it be possible to do it the other way around and use a fixed bar width and calculate the chart width?

I cannot calculate the bar-width, its set by the zoom, which I calculate.

Possibly setting no zoom when there are less than 30-50 entries helps?

This will have to be something that we fine-tune later.


>>It will take some time to upload...

Ok, skip it for now. 


>>I wonder how the result will be...

I did a quick implementation of it:

http://files.helium.fm/helium_12.0.14136.0.exe


In this version I have no restriction of how much the data can be zoomed neither.

Looking great:


I think that's the way to go...

Yep, looked good on my large database with much statistics also :)

Login or Signup to post a comment