Start a new topic
Solved

Artist details -> All tracks: opening takes a long time and GUI will halt

I'm trying to reproduce this myself at the moment, I would like to know some additional things:

1) Which database type are you using?

2) Will it only be slow the 1st time you open All tracks?

3) Will it help if you inactivate the vis-plugin?

4) Approximately, how many tracks will be shown under All tracks?

It is most likely related to when you get a lot of tracks as a result in combination with that the entire page is scrollable. That will force the entire list with tracks to be rendered, a really slow operation.

I will try to solve it to avoid that the entire page is scrolled in this view.

#1:
1) MariaDB connected via GBit-LAN
2) Every first time I opened an artist's details
3) No
4) Lots - I think it starts at about 150 tracks

#2:

Well, IMHO the entire page should be scrolled - or you don't get too much information in discography and appearances... Or do you want to change this behavior for one tab only?

The solution is to change it for this tab only and keep the entire page scrollable as-is

But even on this tab only - if I use a smaller window, I don't get much information when I can only scroll the table - not that I personally care, I'm using a maximized window all the time...

>>if I use a smaller window, I don't get much information when I can only scroll the table

That's unfortunately the way it will have to be. The actual tracklist will get a scroll, but it will not render a gigant-window like it is now (watch the right-most scrollbar).

Letting the entire page scroll will prevent data virtualization which quickly becomes a problem with tracklist controls which contains a lot of elements to be rendered.

I don't like the idea, that the tabs will be treated in different ways...

There's a lot of space wasted for the "header", I think it would be better to use the thumbnail-size selected in options also for the artist picture - especially now, that we can use the picture as background...

The user could spare some space on the top, to get more information at the bottom - and you could change all tabs to not scroll the whole page.

>>There's a lot of space wasted for the "header", I think it would be better to use the thumbnail-size selected in options also for the artist picture - especially now, that we can use the picture as background...

Please add this is a feature request. It is a big change that we cannot implement now, althought a good idea, and if we close this report it might get lost.

Possibly it might also be nice to have the collapse/expand header setting  (which is available from Artist view/split mode)?

The new solution will look something like this (not completed, height is not fully correct)

Oh, the collapse/expand header setting is something I didn't know - that's not a bad idea...

Maybe don't hide the header completely in this view, but create a real small one (very small artist picture and only artist name aside of it)?!

I will create a feature request for this...

Still happens on the very first call of this page after starting Neon.

Afterwards this is very quick now.

That's most likely because of the initialization of the component (.NET works like this sometimes, upon the first execution the code is compiled (=slow) and then it is cached).

I will add it as a possible future optimization.

Login or Signup to post a comment