Start a new topic
Not Taken

Move plugin folders to %appdata%

There's a problem when plugins want to store their settings into the plugins folder. Also there's no need to elevate in %appdata% when adding new / replacing old plugins.

Additionally it would be great to make folder names more obvious. Now we have SPlugins, BPlugins, plugins and HeliumPlugins - creating a single Plugins folder with subfolders for each type would be better from my point of view (plugins\sonique, plugins\bassbox, plugins\winamp and plugins\helium).

I can move HeliumPlugins without any problems, but the other are dependant on how BassVis works.

Emil: Can this be achived?

Which Windows version is minimum required? Since Windows Vista there are symlinks - I used them in older Helium versions to move the plugin folders manually to %appdata%.

>>but the other are dependant on how BassVis works.

no on how BassBox, Winamp work ;)

This depends on the API's

greets

>> (plugins\sonique, plugins\bassbox, plugins\winamp and plugins\helium).

Trouble here..

BassVis search recursive on this Folder for Available Plugins.

what your think which Trouble your has if open to the runtime any Helium Plugins (and or Sonique dll's) inside the PluginFolder

for check which is compatible to Winamp.?

Plugins for the Winamp has a header which i open for reading for Compatibility

GetHeader := TFNwinampVisGetHeader(
    GetProcAddress(AModule, 'winampVisGetHeader'));

here to change no possibility something.

greets

>>from my point of view (plugins\sonique, plugins\bassbox, plugins\winamp and plugins\helium).

yes fine idea ;)

and NO that will not work.

Sonique you can put where you want and give him any FolderName.

Winamp, BassBox not.

Do not rename or Move the Folder or the Visualization no longer work.

This depends on the API's

>>Which Windows version is minimum required?

XP..

the Folder for latest Plugins (Milkdrop, vis_BassVis) as sample

is under

%appdata%./Roaming/Winamp.

BassBox write to registry

WMP to Registry

Sonique to SPlugin\vis.ini (should be test how in work put the Ini to

%appdata%./Roaming/Imploded Software/Helium

I have create a VizPackage Installer and send to Mikael

that install the Plugin on the right place.

greets

I think the best is to keep it as is. Either all or no folders should be moved. A installer will solve it fine

>>I think the best is to keep it as is. Either all or no folders should be moved. A installer will solve it fine

I also think
However, if absolutely necessary I can Bassbox plugins all new compilation

greets

Hmm...

Ok Folder Plugin can't Change.

Folder BBPlugin.. i can, after write all Plugin New (take time)

the API path is..$BBP_PLUGIN_FOLDER = "BBplugin\"

can be $BBP_PLUGIN_FOLDER = "Plugins\BBplugin\"

Folder SPLugin can Change to Plugins\Sonique or what your want
All plugins are then Folder Plugins

the Trouble is then all the Files in PluginsFolder will be scaned from BassVis then for compatibility.

greets

PS:

Edit and Quote Function should be fine for this Forum

Well, as I said, it does work with symlinks:

Though I don't know, if you can easily create symlinks with the installer... ;-)

Let's keep it as is and distribute an installer with the plugins, because of the external dependencies.

>>Though I don't know, if you can easily create symlinks with the installer... ;-)

yes,, why should do it.

It does not alter that one still sees the folder.
Where is then the plug should be located then not care.
As long as the write accesses are in% AppData%
Michael can even test whether the Vis.ini of Sonique can be stored there
and if then all dependencies are found.

But I do not think so. (After I wrote the Library)

>>Let's keep it as is and distribute an installer with the plugins, because of the external dependencies.

i think to

greets

Es ist mir völlig egal, was ich in "c:\program files\imloded software\helium" sehen kann...

Aber es gibt halt Probleme mit Benutzerrechten, wenn Plugins dort abgelegt werden, die ich im ersten Post ja genannt habe - und die gibt es in %AppData% eben nicht. ;-)

-----

Well, I don't care, what I can see in the "c:\program files\imloded software\helium"...

But there are simply problems with user rights when storing plugins in this folder, which I mentioned in the first post - and they don't exist in %appdata%.

>>wenn Plugins dort abgelegt werden

Nur dann wenn sie Schreibrechte benötigen.

Diese liegen jenseits der Registry und den jeweiligen INI Dateien die in %AppData% abgelegt sind

somit sehe ich da keine Probleme.

Winamp: Plugins sind im Anwendung Order

Windows Media Player: Plugins sind im Anwendung Order

warum sollen wir das nun in Helium ändern.

----------------------------

>> If plugins are stored there
Only then when they need write permission.

These are beyond the registry and the respective INI files that are stored in% AppData%

therefore I see no problems.

Winamp: plugins in the application folder
Windows Media Player: plugins in the application Folder

why should we change in helium that now.

greets

Ja, es gibt halt Plugins die dort Schreibrechte benötigen (aus der XP-Ära), um dort ihre Optionen zu speichern.

Außerdem ist es einfacher für mich persönlich, wenn ich demnächst anfange, meine eigenen Plugins zu schreiben - dann muss ich mich beim Testen nicht dauernd mit der UAC rumschlagen. (Und ja, das sollte eigentlich kein Argument sein ;-) )

Nur weil andere - seit Jahren nicht mehr weiterentwickelte - Software aus heutiger Sicht eben doof programmiert ist, muss man diese Fehler ja nicht auf ewig weiterführen.

Ich persönlich habe weder Winamp noch Sonique installiert - daher geht es mir vornehm gesagt am Allerwertesten vorbei, wie diese sich verhalten. Neon sollte aus heutiger Sicht programmiert werden.

Aber so muss ich halt wieder selbst Hand anlegen, und die Ordner selbst zurechtbiegen. ;-)

-----

Too lazy to completely translate this, so here's a short version:

I don't care what some old discontinued software did, but Neon should not continue their - from today's point of view - faults. Since Windows Vista "program files" should only contain exact these: program files.

Login or Signup to post a comment