Start a new topic
Solved

Album pictures empty / Flac files not playing

I created everything from scratch, the Mysql DB, Steamer and Neon.

- all files were added properly

- are stored on a remote NAS

- included in the DB with \\Q1079PRO\Music\3\3_Inches_Of_Blood\Alb_2004_Advance_And_Vanquish

e.g.

The webinterface shows no pictures of the album covers, even they are stored in the equivalent folder as folder.jpg. I tried different browsers with the same result.

At first, i thought of this:
http://support.imploded.com/support/solutions/articles/9000051938-can-helium-music-streamer-play-files-located-on-a-network-share-

but the machine and user have access r/w to the network share without a prompt.

and additionally, there is no log-file. the folder AppData does not exist:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Imploded Software\Helium Streamer\App_Data\logs

I use this version:

http://dl.imploded.com/streamer/helium-streamer_3.0_(1005)-Release.exe

Hi Alex,

You will need to create (or use an existing) user account as mentioned in #2. There is no way around this as Helium Streamer is run as a Windows Service. Even though you may be able to access your NAS from Windows without entering any credentials you still need to set this up.

The description on that page also refers to Helium Streamer 2 so some things differ. There isn't a setting in the Launcher any longer. You will need to open up Windows Services (WIN+R then type services.msc and hit ENTER). Find the Helium Streamer service and double click it. On the Log On tab, switch from Local system account to Use this account and enter your credentials. Click OK and restart the service.

Also, the log files are not stored in the same location as in Helium Streamer 2. They are located at:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Imploded Software\Helium Streamer\logs

Thank you very much, now the pictures are shown and i can play the flac files.

I created a new library with Neon and scanned it, but the Streamer was still empty until i restarted the service. Is this a normal behavior?

Sorry but i have some more questions :)

- In Streamer, i edited the Library folder path from "....\Music\A" to "...\Music" and clicked "Scan folders now", but until now: nothing happend. Is there some kind of indicator which shows that there is a scan going on?

- Is it still necessary to install Neon in addition to Streamer 3? I read it somwhere in the FAQ (it seems to work without)

- The playback is ok but with gaps between the tracks, i have ~ 10MBit upload but this seems not fast enough. Are files getting preloaded in the play queue?

- Can i edit the transcoding settings for the output bitrate? A per-user setting would be nice

- Are the pictures sized down for the webinterface? i have many 2000x2000 pictures and they get loaded very fast.

- Can i edit the picture size for the Albums and Artists? I have asked for this in Neon also (implemented). If not, no problem.

- when i click on the seekbar, the track just restarts (Chrome). Is this a bug?

It works great, thanks a lot :)

The flash plugin got blocked on the page but it does work without it. What is it for?

>> I created a new library with Neon and scanned it, but the Streamer was still empty until i restarted the service. Is this a normal behavior?

Neon and Streamer uses different caches to speed up processing, so yes, this is normal behaviour at the moment. We will look into improving this in the future but for now you will need to restart the Helium Streamer service if you have changed something in the database from Neon.

>> In Streamer, i edited the Library folder path from "....\Music\A" to "...\Music" and clicked "Scan folders now", but until now: nothing happend. Is there some kind of indicator which shows that there is a scan going on?

As mentioned in the release notes, this is currently an experimental feature which will likely have some issues (or not work at all :). If the scanning starts as it should there should be an activity indicator in the lower right corner. Please look into the logs folder to see if there i any indication of a problem there.

>> Is it still necessary to install Neon in addition to Streamer 3? I read it somwhere in the FAQ (it seems to work without)

No it's not necessary to install Neon, but be aware that the programs are meant to be used for different purposes. We do not plan to add any of the specific tools in Neon to Helium Streamer.

>> The playback is ok but with gaps between the tracks, i have ~ 10MBit upload but this seems not fast enough. Are files getting preloaded in the play queue?

If you play FLAC files there will be a delay the first time you play the tracks since it needs to be transcoded first. It's not possible to get gapless playback since there is no preload of upcoming tracks.

>> Can i edit the transcoding settings for the output bitrate? A per-user setting would be nice

Not at the moment. This is something that we want to add in a coming version.

>> Are the pictures sized down for the webinterface? i have many 2000x2000 pictures and they get loaded very fast.

Yes, the pictures are downsized to 400x400 pixels.

>> Can i edit the picture size for the Albums and Artists? I have asked for this in Neon also (implemented). If not, no problem.

This is not currently planned, but might be possible in a future release. Helium Streamer doesn't use fixed sizes but uses a fluid layout so that the entire screen is always filled. Out of curiosity, would you like smaller or larger thumbnails?

>> when i click on the seekbar, the track just restarts (Chrome). Is this a bug?

Does this happen on all tracks? Perhaps it's related to tracks that have been transcoded? We have noticed this behavious on certain tracks but it seems to work most of the time.

>> The flash plugin got blocked on the page but it does work without it. What is it for?

The Flash plugin is being used to improve the playing experience as there are still problems to get a really good cross platform / cross browser media experience. It shouldn't be mandatory, though, but there may be glitches here and there. What was blocking the Flash plugin?

Thanks for your answers.

>> As mentioned in the release notes, this is currently an experimental feature which will likely have some issues (or not work at all :). If the scanning starts as it should there should be an activity indicator in the lower right corner. Please look into the logs folder to see if there i any indication of a problem there. 

I tried this in Chrome and Firefox, but nothing happens (no indicator or log entry)

>> If you play FLAC files there will be a delay the first time you play the tracks since it needs to be transcoded first. It's not possible to get gapless playback since there is no preload of upcoming tracks.

When i tried for example Ampache, the playback file got transmitted during the transcoding. Does this mean the file has to be fully transcoded and fully transmitted before the playback starts? If yes, i try to increase the cpu power for my VM to speed things up.

You said "the first time" and i saw in the ProgramFiles folder that there are mp3 files cached. How long will they stay in the cache folder?

>> This is not currently planned, but might be possible in a future release. Helium Streamer doesn't use fixed sizes but uses a fluid layout so that the entire screen is always filled. Out of curiosity, would you like smaller or larger thumbnails?

I use the filter function as much as possible, but if i search for a certain Artist in "F" i have to scroll a lot if i forgot the name, so smaller pictures would be nice. But otherwise it has the advantage that not so many pictures have to be transmitted. As i said, it's not a big deal :D

>> Does this happen on all tracks? Perhaps it's related to tracks that have been transcoded? We have noticed this behavious on certain tracks but it seems to work most of the time. 

Sorry but i don't have any other files than flac right now for testing. On chrome (50.0) it jumps to the start and in Firefox (46.0) nothing happens (except for the hover effect). I add some MP3's today evening.

>> The Flash plugin is being used to improve the playing experience as there are still problems to get a really good cross platform / cross browser media experience. It shouldn't be mandatory, though, but there may be glitches here and there. What was blocking the Flash plugin?

I have "click to play" by default for all plugins and i didn't notice it was blocked at first, that's why i asked. I didn't notice any glitches so far ;)

I wanted to follow up on this thread.

>> Does this mean the file has to be fully transcoded and fully transmitted before the playback starts?

The file has to be fully transcoded before it will be sent to the client (browser). It will start to play as soon as a large enough chunk has been streamed.

>> You said "the first time" and i saw in the ProgramFiles folder that there are mp3 files cached. How long will they stay in the cache folder?

There is currently no automatic cleanup made here, so this folder may increase very much in size.

About the replaying issues: We will use native HTML5 audio replaying by default in next release since it seems to work well in all modern browsers. Flash is still used as a fallback if needed.

Login or Signup to post a comment