Start a new topic
Implemented

Option to create artist thumbnails in different aspect ratios

It would be great, if I could set a different aspect ratio for my artist thumbnails (1:1, 4:3, 16:10, 16:9).

This would give me back some unused space in artist related views.

Can you please share a screenshot of what this would result in?

Aspect ratio 1:1

Aspect ratio 16:9

Thanks, I now see better what you mean.

This could be useful, but requires some major extensions to the templates. I will do some further tests.

Artist details view:

aspect ratio 1:1

aspect ratio 16:10

Any chances to get this in the near future?

It's currently not queued for 12.1 which is planned to be released in the end of the next week.

It's a quite big task that needs to be tested in detail before we can say if it will work or now, testing involves performance tests (multiple thumbnails will need to be generated) as well as adopting of templates to support various scaling.

>> multiple thumbnails will need to be generated That would be one way, but I guess it would be better to simply create new thumbnails when changing this setting.

Yes, that might be a better way around it.

I wonder a bit how sizes should be treated;

1:1 - This is what we have today (assume 256*256)

4:3 - This should be 256*192

16:9 - This should be 256*144

16:10 - This should be 256*160

Is it really neccesary to have separate setups for 16:9 and 16:10 ? 

Also, one thing that complicates stuff is that today it is actually designed for 4:3, so mapping to 1:1 can make the results weird.

>> I wonder a bit how sizes should be treated 
 Your values are correct. 
 >> Is it really neccesary to have separate setups for 16:9 and 16:10 ? 
 If I can select cropping, 16:9 would suffer. 
 >> today it is actually designed for 4:3, so mapping to 1:1 can make the results weird. 
 Designed for 4:3? All thumbnails are 1:1 here!?

>> Designed for 4:3? All thumbnails are 1:1 here!?

Yes, but a standard screen will never show 1:1, it will use 4:3.

Example:

Today it looks fully correct on a display with 1920*1440 (4:3) with 256*256 thumbnails.

If this will be mapped to a "new" 4:3 mode, it should become 256*192 instead.

This behaviour needs to be further tested I think, but on the other side, this will be a user chose so it might not matter at all.

This is only about pixel-ratio for the thumbnails - not about pixel-ratio of the screen... A 16:9 thumbnail will still be correct on a 4:3 screen. ;-)
I will create a few examples, when I'm back home later today. I think we're talking about something different, because of the upper quick'n'dirty mock-ups...
Here are the samples for 1:1 and 16:9.

16-9.jpg
(82.8 KB)
1-1.jpg
(103 KB)
Login or Signup to post a comment