Start a new topic
Answered

tag and rename files not (yet) under neon control

I hardly miss the possibility to use tag editor and file-rename to folders which not nessesary are registered/syncroniced to neon database.

With neon I cannot not find the possibility to browse to an folder with not is under neon - library control. I only can add tracks from an folder, this folder then is automatically registered as folder of the database.

Are there plans to have access to the folders of pc as I had with helium 11 with the music explorer? 

Best Answer

In Neon all views available now are strcictly data-driven to enable easy browse access commands. For example when an artist (or even multiple artists) are displayed, it should be clickable and lead directly to the specfic artists detail page. The same applies to several fields such as albums, genres, years and more.

This is something not possible to achive if files are not located in your library.

One possible way to use Neon for your maganging your Logitech collection (untested though), would be to work with folders in the Music explorer.

For example. you can have one folder, d:\untagged, which contains your untagged music which should be tagged and later renamed to another path, e.g. \\logitech\music.

You can then easily use the Update library function to discover new files in your untagged folder, tag them and lastly rename them to your \\logitech path.

This will add one step compared to Helium 11, adding the files to the library, but apart from that you can achive the same effect.

For the initial official release of Neon we will not support files that are noto added to Neon's library.

Possibly we will introduce support for this for specific tools for a later version.

1 person likes this
Ok, I recognize this.

As a longtime user of HMM it's bad news for me. Few years I ago I evaluated HMM, because of its mature tagging and renaming capabilities. I do not use the HMM library function (I have a HMM library, but I do not primary use it). My tracks are on my NAS and on the NAS I have a Logitech-Server running for my WLAN Squeeze-Box Home-Music System. I'm tagging und naming with HMM, because it is still the best tool, with a good workflow for doing this.

In fact, neon currently does nothing really good of what I need for my logitech music collection, because I use the mature mp3 tools of HMM, not the library it self. And it's a big irony; the only feature I ever missed since the beginning of HMM is the scripting possibilities - which neon now brings...  OMG ;-)

I'll see how I can reproduce my workflow to neon. But don't missunderstand me! I like the UI of neon and the scripting engine very much. It's a fresh and a clear application. I like it and I'm willing to use it, even if I cannot do the same workflows I did in HMM. But the only and important requirement remains, is to have the tag editor and the rename/move-copy tool also for tracks not in neon library.

keep up good work and doing it fast, menawhile I'll use HMM version 11 until neon version 2 is out with the support of files not in library :-D

Answer

In Neon all views available now are strcictly data-driven to enable easy browse access commands. For example when an artist (or even multiple artists) are displayed, it should be clickable and lead directly to the specfic artists detail page. The same applies to several fields such as albums, genres, years and more.

This is something not possible to achive if files are not located in your library.

One possible way to use Neon for your maganging your Logitech collection (untested though), would be to work with folders in the Music explorer.

For example. you can have one folder, d:\untagged, which contains your untagged music which should be tagged and later renamed to another path, e.g. \\logitech\music.

You can then easily use the Update library function to discover new files in your untagged folder, tag them and lastly rename them to your \\logitech path.

This will add one step compared to Helium 11, adding the files to the library, but apart from that you can achive the same effect.

I understand.

I did it already the same way you described in your post. It's working... almost. But there are several issues I have to handle with. It's gooing too far to describe it all. Because as you said: now it's not anymore an mp3 tagging-tool with library, but just an library with mp3 capabilities.

I always was a special HMM user. Never really used the library features for music tracks alone, but managed and organized files and tags of my big Audio-Book library. Manging Audio-Books is sometimes a bit different to music album or compilations.

Login or Signup to post a comment